Pocketmodel TCG Imperial Power-Up Pack

Among the basket of Easter goodies given to me by my girlfriend was a real blast-from-the-past - an Imperial Power-Up Pack for the Star Wars Pocketmodel TCG game.


I first came across the Pocketmodel line back in 2012, when - only a couple of weeks after first moving to Houston - I found a number of the Order 66 and Ground Assault game packs on clearance at Target. Each pack contained 4 to 8 random vehicles that (along with the included micro dice and game cards) could be used to play a table-top strategy game.

Instead of containing a randomised assortment of miniatures, this Imperial Power-Up pack comes with a specific force comprising the Star Destroyer Executor; Darth Vader's Imperial Shuttle, four TIE Fighters, and - to ensure you have some foes for target practice - two X-Wing Starfighters. Also included are a pair of dice and 30 game cards. The vehicles come as sheets of punch-out plastic pieces that assemble much like those old glow-in-the-dark dinosaur skeletons we loved as kids. What's really impressive is how authentic these simply-constructed models end up looking on the table-top. Ships like the TIE fighter are relatively easy to portray in this medium, but it's clear that a lot of thought has gone into how to best represent more complex designs like the Imperial Shuttle (my favourite vehicle from this pack).

I've yet to give the game mechanics a try, but once I have I'll be sure to add my thoughts here - so stay tuned for updates!