Clone Wars Volume 2 DVD

Today my third and final Amazon purchase arrived: Volume 2 of the Clone Wars micro series on DVD.


This series was never released on DVD in New Zealand, though fortunately a friend picked up Volume 1 for me in Australia a few years ago. Volume 2 proved to be far more elusive however. When I found it on Amazon for $13.46US ($16.40NZ) I jumped at the chance to add it to my collection. With this acquisition, I've now completed my Star Wars DVD library.

As fond as I am of the the new The Clone Wars CGI series, I think I'll always prefer the micro series. There's something about the animated style that suits the narrative perfectly. In many ways, the Clone Wars series included a lot of elements missing from the prequels.

Fortunately the micro series still stands as canon. Volume 1 (Episodes 1-20) and the first episode of Volume 2 (Episode 21) serve as an important prequel to the events of the CGI series. Some of the most important highlights include the knighting of Anakin, and the reciprocal gifting of R2-D2 and C-3PO to Anakin and Padmé respectively.

We're yet to see whether the remainder of Volume 2 (Episodes 22-25) will bookend the conclusion of the CGI series. These episodes provide a riveting account of the invasion of Coruscant, the kidnapping of Chancellor Palpatine, and the events leading up to Anakin and Obi-Wan's arrival in the opening moments of Revenge of the Sith. I've got my fingers crossed that the CGI series finishes just short of - or at least runs parallel to - the telling of these events.

I really can't wait to sit down and watch these episodes again!