Special Modifications - The Legacy Collection SL21 Sandtrooper

The philosophy behind the Special Modifications feature is simple: to make small enhancements to 3 3/4" figures while remaining faithful to their original store-bought aesthetics.

For the most part, I've always been happy with my Legacy Collection SL21 Sandtrooper as the definitive version of this character. With fourteen points of articulation and a handful of great accessories, he makes for a fantastic little figure. That being said, there's always been room for improvement. For one, I've always preferred the orange captain pauldron over the black corporal design that comes with this figure. For another, he's just too damn clean. The 2017 Walmart exclusive Black Series Sandtrooper remedied both of these issues, but included a far inferior helmet sculpt. Today's mission, then, was to modify my old Legacy Collection sandtrooper in order to get the best of both worlds.

Before (left) and after (right).

Insofar as customisations go, it was a fairly simple one. I started by painting the pauldron with Tamiya Acrylic Orange X6, then hit the entire figure with a 50/50 wash of Tamiya Acrylic Brown XF72 and water. This had the added benefit of obscuring some yellowing that had started to appear on abdomen. Finally, to bring him closer in line with his Black Series counterpart, I armed him with a spare T21 blaster rifle I had lying around. Taken together, these small modifications make him a far more interesting figure on the shelf, and - I like to think - turn an already great figure into something even better.