The Force Awakens 3 3/4" Armor-Up Poe Dameron

So far, I've completely avoided the 3 3/4" line of Armor-Up (AU) figures. They're mostly repacks of figures from the Build-a-Weapon (BaW) line, but typically retail for around 50% more. The one exception to this is Poe Dameron. While we got an X-Wing pilot Poe in the first wave of BaW figures, his fixed helmet meant there was little resemblance to Oscar Isaac's character. For this reason, I've had my eye on the AU Poe for some time now - and when Toyworld reduced him from $24.99 to the much more acceptable price of $19.99, I couldn't resist the temptation to pick one up.


First things first: the figure itself is fantastic. The likeness is uncanny, and the pose - at least in its neutral stance - is great for display. This is another example of how a limited articulation figure can still be sculpted to look amazing. The paint app is spotless, and Poe's jacket is sculpted in a soft rubber that adds an extra level of detail. Poe comes with only one accessory - the same rifle that came with the BaW Resistance Trooper. I'm assuming this is a standard-issue Resistance rifle, as the BaW Finn also came with a 'sawn-off' version of the same weapon.


Of course, the real elephant-in-the-room is the Armor-Up equipment. I'm going to express a sentiment that you've already read countless times on this blog and other collecting sites: I simply don't understand Hasbro's choice of pack-ins. I suppose this armour makes at least a little more sense than the build-a-weapon accessories. I mean, Poe's a pilot, and his armour features a jetpack and pilot's helmet. That being said, this isn't a screen-used accessory - and the figure simply looks much better without it. I look at that armour and can't help thinking that the same quantity of plastic could have been used to give Poe some extra weapons, or a removable helmet, or a display stand, or a build-a-droid piece...

But I digress.

Despite my misgivings about the Armor-Up accessory, I'm absolutely rapt with this figure. There's a chance we'll see this version of Poe in a future wave of the  BaW line, but that's not likely to happen until well into next year. I was more than happy to pay a little extra to have this figure prior to the release of The Force Awakens.