The Old Republic Going Free-to-Play

In an effort to boost subscription numbers, Bioware's Star Wars MMO The Old Republic is going free-to-play this fall - and I, for one, couldn't be happier. Regular visitors to this blog will know that I'd been anticipating this game for some time. The monthly subscription was really the only thing holding me back. It's not just about the cost, but also a time issue. When you pay-to-play, you feel an obligation to get the most out of your subscription. Going free-to-play gives players the option to come and go from the game as they see fit - something I'd much prefer to do.


I'll be very keen to sign up when the game goes free-to-play. In the meantime, however, Anaria over at the SWNZ Message Boards has generously offered to send me an invite to the free trial (allowing you to play the game up to level 15). I'll be sure to post updates soon!