The Old Republic: Episode 1 - Every Journey Has a First Step...

After a four-hour exam this morning I decided I wanted to spend the rest of my day doing something rather less grueling. Finally installing my free trial of The Old Republic seemed like just the ticket.

It was after a great deal of deliberation that I finally opted to go with the smuggler class. The character seemed to encapsulate all of the things I love most about Star Wars. It also means my progression will fit in perfectly with a few other Star Wars fiction projects I've worked on over the years.

I've spent a couple of hours playing now, and I must say the game is everything I'd hoped for. It's incredibly immersive and the locales are breathtaking. There's been a fair bit of run-and-fetch action so far, though this is due in large part to the fact that I've been ignoring side-quests and interactions with other players. For now, my main focus is on recovering the ship which was regrettably stolen from me in the opening moments of the game. At the moment I'm at level 8 and hanging out in a seedy cantina on Coruscant. Pretty soon I'll be heading to Black Sun's stronghold to search for clues regarding the whereabouts of my ship.

Hanging out in yet another wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The free trial will let me play up to level 15. After this, I'll have to wait until the game goes free-to-play in November before levelling any higher. I'll be posting regularly about my SWTOR adventures, so look for a new tab under the 'Holonet Index' on the left.

My character's name is 'Revuge', so if you too are a SWTOR player then feel free to add me as a friend and say hi. Maybe you can even show a newbie around the galaxy?