Metal Earth R2-D2 3D Metal Model Kit

I've mentioned before that I'm a big fan of construction projects, and something that fits this bill perfectly is Metal Earth's (relatively) new line of 3D metal model kits. Their range currently covers a variety of fandoms, including Star Wars - and for Christmas this year I received the R2-D2 model from my partner.


Over the past weekend I spent some time putting the kit together. I have to admit I was a little daunted when I first pulled those intricately cut metal sheets from the packet. Fortunately, the instructions make assembly a breeze. The pieces are clearly numbered, and fit together seamlessly. That being said, the full build still took a good couple of hours - and I definitely recommend having a pair of pliers, tweezers, and a skewer handy to make things easier.

Once assembled, the model is striking. The detailing is fantastic, and there are some great recessed features that really add depth to the piece. He's now taken pride of place on the bookshelf in our lounge!